2023 ASHEcon Diversity Scholarship
In an effort to increase diversity in health economics, the American Society of Health Economists (ASHEcon) is offering scholarships aimed at underrepresented minorities and/or individuals whose background or life circumstances indicate they have overcome substantial obstacles (e.g., first generation college student, disabled individuals, racial and ethnic minorities, LGBTQIA+ individuals). The scholarships enable the recipients to attend the annual ASHEcon conference, where they will have the opportunity to network with each other and with members of the ASHEcon Board and Diversity Committee, recognizing them, their accomplishments and bright futures. They will also have opportunities to network with other students and professionals during the conference. All applications will be reviewed by ASHEcon’s Diversity Committee. PhD students writing a dissertation on a health economics topic and young professionals with their PhD degree are encouraged to apply.
A CV and one letter of recommendation from a professor (preferably the advisor) or employer is required. The letter of recommendation should focus on applicant’s research. The applicant does NOT need to disclose to the recommender why the applicant is eligible for this scholarship. If you are a previous fellowship recipient, your letter of recommendation should explain why you still merit consideration for the scholarship.
- PhD student writing a dissertation on a health economics topic OR Young professional (within five years of receiving PhD) conducting health economics research
- Prior scholarship recipients are eligible to apply but priority will be given to applicants that haven’t received the scholarship before
- Applicants must be underrepresented minorities and/or individuals whose background or life circumstances indicate they have overcome substantial obstacles (e.g., first generation college student, disabled individuals, racial or ethnic minorities, LGBTQIA+ individuals) as indicated in the demographic information section of this application.
- Must be available to attend the entire 2023 conference
- Review will begin on January 9, 2023 with rolling acceptance until funds are exhausted
- 2023 ASHEcon Annual Conference, June 11-14, 2023
All Fellows Receive:
- Complimentary 2023 ASHEcon Annual Conference Registration Fee
- A scholarship in the amount of $500 to offset costs of transportation (air and ground) as well as meals during the conference.
- Three nights’ accommodations at the St. Louis Union Station Hotel.
- A reception with senior mentors and previous recipients on the Monday or Tuesday of the conference.
- Opportunity to participate in mentoring and networking activities.