The Health System
Carolinas HealthCare System (CHS), one of the nation’s leading and most innovative healthcare organizations, provides a full spectrum of healthcare and wellness programs throughout North and South Carolina. CHS’ vertically integrated services and network of more than 900 care locations includes academic medical centers, acute care hospitals, free-standing EDs, urgent care centers, specialized centers of excellence, physician practices, retail pharmacies, surgical and rehabilitation centers, home health agencies, nursing homes and hospice & palliative care. CHS also includes a wholly owned healthcare informatics company and system-facing management consulting company.
CHS is a dynamic, innovative and forward-looking organization. In 2011, the University of North Carolina Medical School opened a location at the Carolinas Medical Center campus. This evolving academic partnership enables CHS to both enhance its core mission of providing comprehensive healthcare services and participating in the training of the next generation of physicians. Additionally, CHS has a large and growing research enterprise, comprised of applied basic research as well as clinical trials. At present, CHS has approximately 660 active clinical trials.
Created in 2010, The Levine Cancer Institute (LCI) is rapidly fulfilling its vision of providing world-class cancer treatment, research and education across the Carolinas. LCI is headquartered in a new state-of-the-art 171,000 sq. ft. facility, but extends throughout the region with free-standing facilities and a network of nationally recognized oncologists. LCI is led by Dr. Derek Raghavan, a world-renowned expert on cancer, who previously held the position of Chairman at the Taussig Cancer Center at Cleveland Clinic.
Dickson Advanced Analytics (DA2)
Dickson Advanced Analytics (DA2) is a wholly owned subsidiary of CHS. Founded in 2012, DA2’s mandate is to be an international leader in applied data analytics and business intelligence for the improvement of healthcare delivery and outcomes. Comprised of top data analysts, informaticists, technology and business professionals, the organization’s initial delivery focus will be for internal CHS user/clients, with a long-term goal to provide services to third party clients on a national basis.
Carolinas HealthCare System (CHS) has a steadfast and ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion. As a core and strategic value of the organization, promoting diversity and inclusion in the workplace and building a workforce that reflects the communities served is something CHS takes great pride in.
Fast facts about CHS: 40 affiliated hospitals, more than 7,500 licensed beds and approximately 60,000 teammates, 2012 total estimated enterprise net operating revenue $7.7 billion, an estimated 10.5 million patient encounters in 2012, CHS is one of the largest public, multi-hospital systems in the country. CHS enterprise community benefit totaled $1.25 billion in 2012.
Working closely with the senior executive team of the Enterprise, the Healthcare Economist is responsible for strategy and execution of econometric analyses to promote the success of CHS. The Healthcare Economist will: lead, develop, and engage collaborative work teams; supervise and mentor professional staff; develop and execute work plans; and serve as a key department liaison to the senior executive management team and multiple constituencies across all divisions.
Directs, executes, and presents multiple, concurrent analytics projects for enterprise-wide senior and executive management, independently or with little supervision of the department AVP, in a timely and effective manner by:
- Leading a complex, highly-skilled team of analysts and a pharmacoeconomist
- Managing projects and customer relationships
- Partnering with senior leaders (SVP, EVP) to assess needs, define business questions, translate business questions into analytical questions, and translate analytical results into business solutions
- Utilizing, promoting, and maintaining aptitude in econometric and advanced statistical methodologies
- Facilitating working sessions with constituents to obtain necessary project information or guide team in project execution
- Writing, depicting and presenting deliverables in a logical, clear, and concise manner for various audiences within and outside of the System
- Influencing senior leaders (SVP, EVP) to take action based on analytical insights
Develops, directs, facilitates, and applies specific methodologies for the following types of projects:
- Quantify value/ROI and develop scientifically valid methods for utilization/cost avoidance resulting from performance achievement and improvement
- Develop econometric models to forecast CHS performance
- Program evaluation
- Evaluate the cost-effectiveness of care
- Payment innovations (e.g., bundled payments, shared savings, ACOs) and their impact on quality and cost of care
- Strategic/financial planning analyses, evaluations, and market assessments
- Healthcare service planning and business valuation
- Analyses to identify potential efficiency gains, economies of scale, and productivity enhancements
- Best practices identification and implementation
- System metrics development and scorecard management
- Demonstrates thought leadership by acquiring and maintaining industry and market intelligence on local, regional, and national healthcare issues impacting the System
- Masters in Economics, Health Services Research, or closely related field required. A PhD or equivalent is preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years professional experience or equivalent combination of education and experience that provide the skills and knowledge necessary to perform the job requirements
- Published author of peer-reviewed scientific manuscripts and/or conference abstracts
- Experience with healthcare claims, pharmaceutical, and EHR data preferred
- Scientific aptitude and an ability to think strategically about the use of data and advanced statistical and computational methodology
- A strong track record of developing intuitive statistical models with the goal of explaining complex healthcare issues
- Experience with SAS and/or R, other data mining tools, databases, and computer programming required; experience with Enterprise Miner preferred
- Demonstrated critical decision-making skills with the ability to influence senior executive (SVP, EVP) decision-makers
- Requires the ability to interact with healthcare professionals from a variety of health fields including senior executives (SVP, EVP) and physicians
- Needs excellent oral, written, and technical communication skills and a solid command of the English language; Demonstrated ability to communicate complex relationships and concepts using data to drive change. Experience in group presentation and public speaking.
- Must be able to work with considerable autonomy, and be motivated to set and abide by self-imposed deadlines
- Strong organizational and prioritization capabilities; demonstrated skills in project management and business process redesign.
- Demonstrated experience working with multi-disciplinary or cross-functional teams in successful change programs across functional and organizational boundaries. Excellent listening and teambuilding skills aligning with a role that is based on “influence without authority” and credibility derived from expertise and personal positioning. Highly collaborative orientation is critical.
- Effectively manages diverse assignments under shifting priorities and tight timeframes; demonstrated ability to manage successful execution against multiple concurrent priorities and goals.
- Highly Competitive Base Salary based on salary history and experience level
- Excellent Benefits Plan
- High Growth Opportunity
- Great Work Environment
To apply or obtain more information, send email to: Kevin Mandel,
Senior Vice President
Solomon-Page Group, LLC
Healthcare and Insurance Division
260 Madison Avenue, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10016