Department of Health Services Research
Req #: 00010960 – 190501
Job Title: Open Rank, Term Tenure Track
The Department of Health Services Research is recruiting for a full-time faculty, Open Rank, Term Tenure Track appointment. This faculty member will design, implement and evaluate innovative cancer-related health services research, with a strong focus on the economic aspects of cancer care. This position requires a successful publication record, given years of experience. Candidates seeking the rank of Associate Professor should have demonstrated record of external, peer-reviewed grants from NIH or comparable funding agencies.
- Develop and maintain original, creative and independent research projects with evidence of high quality, and productivity, and obtain outside funding to support this research, either independently or in collaboration.
- Collaborate with other investigators within the Department, UTMDACC, as well as other institutions, on new and ongoing research projects.
- Aggressively seek and maintain grant support focusing on health services research.
- Submit research for publication in peer-reviewed journals as primary author and as co-author.
- Interview, train, and supervise research assistants, quantitative and biostatistics personnel, post-doctoral fellows and graduate students to accomplish research projects.
- Mentor junior faculty, as needed.
- Incumbent must be a self-motivated academic investigator who interacts and communicates well with others at the professional, technical, and administrative levels by means of telephone, oral, written, and electronic communication.
- Commute (walk or drive) between Pickens Academic Towers, Cancer Prevention Building, the main campus and collaborative institutions on a frequent basis.
- Incumbent must be desirous of working in a highly interdisciplinary setting, with collaborative opportunities in clinical research and community-based settings
A doctoral degree in economics, health economics, or closely related field, is required.
At least 3 years of post-degree working experience as an independent researcher. The primary mission of the Section of Cancer Economics and Policy in the Department of Health Services Research is to contribute to the methodology of HSR and to apply health economics and econometric methods to cancer policies and oncology HSR, covering the entire spectrum of cancer care including prevention, detection, treatment, and supportive care. Knowledge and experience in health economics-related methodology is required
To apply, please send a single pdf file containing: (1) cover letter outlining the relevance of the candidate’s research experience and interests to the position description (2) curriculum vitae, and (3) brief statement of current and proposed research plan:
Sharon H. Giordano, M.D., M.P.H.
Chair, Department of Health Services Research
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
1400 Pressler, Unit 1444
Houston, TX 77030
MD Anderson Cancer Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local laws, unless such distinction is required by law. All positions at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center are security sensitive and subject to examination of criminal history record information. Smoke-free and drug-free environment.