DEPT OF HEALTH/MENTAL HYGIENE
Job Posting Notice
Job ID 510730
Business Title Health Economic Analyst/Supervisor of Patient Billing, Bureau of Budget and Revenue
Civil Service Title ECONOMIST
Title Classification Competitive
Job Category Health, Policy, Research & Analysis
Career Level Experienced (non-manager)
Work Location 42-09 28th Street
Division/Work Unit Fed-St-Other Cat Claims & Revs
# of Positions 1
Title Code No 40910
Proposed Salary Range $ 59,422.00 – $ 92,758.00 (Annual)
As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption
The selected candidate must have significant experience with regulatory and operational requirements billing government programs such as Medicaid and Medicare to ensure that all billing regulations compliant. The billing supervisor must have an extensive knowledge of billing requirements for various Managed Care Organizations (MCO’s), and private insurance payers.
The selected candidate must have working experience with CPT-4/HCPCS and ICD -10 coding guidelines as well as the ability to abstract information from medical records for billing purposes
The Health Economic Analyst/Supervisor of Patient Billing will oversee all daily Revenue Cycle Optimization activities such as front office registration, insurance verification, internal claim audit functions, payment posting, and insurance collection activities within the department
The billing supervisor will participate with contract negotiations and renewals with all contracted vendors. Work with vendors to conduct claim testing and compliance, work with IT to ensure that billing system functionalities comply with contract scope.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directly reports to the director of patient billing.
- Oversee daily billing and collection activities for Bureau of immunization, TB, STI, NFP and all other clinic services billed by DOHMH.
- Make on-site visits to clinic locations when required.
- Work with Physicians and other healthcare clinicians to ensure documentation accurately reflects the services rendered.
- Work closely with Compliance officer to monitor and report potential claim audit risks.
- Provide billing, collection supervision to billing team.
- Validate timeliness and performance of claim processing in the billing unit.
- Conduct analysis of claims and payment data across third party payers to ensure reimbursement accuracy.
- Validate accuracy of contract vendor invoices and process payments.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff and other stakeholders.
- Must be a team player
Minimum Qual Requirements
- A master’s degree from an accredited college or university in economics, statistics, finance, management, business administration, public administration, public policy or related field; or
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, including or supplemented by 24 semester credits in one or more of the course areas of economics, statistics, finance, management, mathematics, business administration, public administration, and public policy, 12 semester credits of which must have been in economics; and one year of satisfactory full-time experience in one or more of the fields of finance; economic, fiscal or statistical research; policy analysis; or quantitative, business, market or financial analysis. Graduate semester credits in any of the areas described in “1” above may be substituted for the undergraduate semester credits on the basis that each 3 graduate semester credits may be substituted for 6 of the required undergraduate semester credits.
To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level II individuals must have, in addition to meeting the minimum requirements, at least one additional year of full-time experience listed in “2” above.
To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level III individuals must have, in addition to meeting the minimum requirements, at least two additional years of full-time experience listed in “2” above.
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Extensive knowledge of CPT-4, HCPCS, ICD-10 coding principles preferred
- Knowledge of Medicare/Medicaid compliance regulations
- Knowledge of third-party billing requirements
- Preferred Article 28, 31, and 36 clinic billing experience
- Experience billing in FQHC or Ambulatory Patient services a plus
- Knowledge of provider credentialing process preferred
- Knowledge of insurance verification and authorization process required
- Minimum 3 years billing and coding experience
- Working knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel required
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong analytical skills and detailed oriented
- Knowledge of billing for Behavioral Health Services a plus
**IMPORTANT NOTES TO ALL CANDIDATES:
Please note: If you are called for an interview you will be required to bring to your interview copies of original documentation, such as:
- A document that establishes identity for employment eligibility, such as: A Valid U.S. Passport, Permanent Resident Card/Green Card, or Driver’s license.
- Proof of Education according to the education requirements of the civil service title.
- Current Resume
- Proof of Address/NYC Residency dated within the last 60 days, such as: Recent Utility Bill (i.e. Telephone, Cable, Mobile Phone)
Additional documentation may be required to evaluate your qualification as outlined in this posting’s “Minimum Qualification Requirements” section. Examples of additional documentation may be, but not limited to: college transcript, experience verification or professional trade licenses.
If after your interview you are the selected candidate you will be contacted to schedule an on-boarding appointment. By the time of this appointment you will be asked to produce the originals of the above documents along with your original Social Security card.
The federal government provides student loan forgiveness through its Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) to all qualifying public service employees. Working with the DOHMH qualifies you as a public service employee and you may be able to take advantage of this program while working full-time and meeting the program’s other requirements.
Please visit the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program site to view the eligibility requirements: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service
“FINAL APPOINTMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO OFFICE OF MANAGEMENT & BUDGET APPROVAL”
Apply online with a cover letter to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/. In the Job ID search bar, enter: job ID number # 510730.
We appreciate the interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
The NYC Health Department is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and culturally responsive workforce. We strongly encourage people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender and gender non-conforming persons to apply.
All applicants will be considered without regard to actual or perceived race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, age, prior record of arrest; or any other basis prohibited by law.
NOTE: This position is open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program. Please indicate in your resume that you would like to be considered for the position under the 55-a Program
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
POSTING DATE 12/22/2021
POST UNTIL 04/19/2022
The City of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer