About the Role
We help our clients navigate legal, regulatory and international arbitration proceedings while supporting strategic decision making and public policy debates around the world. Delivering incisive interpretation of complex economic issues has made us a global leader in this field.
The Center for Healthcare Economics and Policy (“Center”) is a separate business unit of the Economics Practice within FTI Consulting, Inc. The Center applies cutting-edge economics and quantitative methods to assist clients in developing and implementing market-based solutions across the spectrum of healthcare activity. Our analyses utilize economic modelling and simulation applied to real-world data in order to predict future demand for services to provide organizations insights into how to maintain quality, improve health outcomes and reduce costs, as well as to properly deploy constrained resources. Our advanced capabilities and extensive data sets address effects of major policy, regulatory, or significant and disruptive changes in healthcare and non-healthcare industry sectors. We provide predictive modeling capable of evaluating complex “what-if” scenarios for both public and private stakeholders.
Our staff includes academically trained economists with extensive industry expertise and decades of policy and applied experience in the public and private sector. Our experts have testified before antitrust and regulatory agencies in the US and internationally, and in state and federal courts. Further, the Center’s experts have published seminal articles on antitrust issues in the healthcare industry as well as novel approaches for quantifying the value of new pharmaceutical interventions. The Center’s analytic domains include mergers and acquisitions, market insight, value-based arrangements, cross-stakeholder and community-level analysis including economic impact of poor health, population health, value assessment, quantification of patient-centered preferences, and digital health. We collaborate with colleagues across FTI Consulting, including strategic communications, healthcare practitioners and financial specialists.
The Center and FTI’s Economic Consulting practice provide our clients–law firms, health systems, life sciences firms and governments-with sophisticated and comprehensible economic analyses to help navigate regulatory, policy, competition and other proceedings in the US and internationally while supporting strategic decision making and public policy debates around the world.
What You’ll Do
As a Managing Director, you will be expected to contribute to the Center and FTI with these capabilities:
Track record of strong project and client management
- Determines methodologies to be used in specific engagements/ initiatives/projects and contributes to the development of new methodologies
- Manages creation/editing of final reports, deliverables and pitches and presents them to clients and/or internal leadership
- Drafts of expert reports for delivery in regulatory and dispute proceedings
- Leads teams or projects and takes accountability for all work products to ensure quality and client satisfaction
Budding thought leader and expert in health care innovation
- Sought by others for your expertise; applies a wide range of specialized industry or functional knowledge and expertise
- Summarizes research findings through peer-reviewed publication in academic journals
- Ability to author thought-leadership articles on relevant topics
- Expertise working in life sciences
Strong manager to develop Center’s staff
- Provides project management, supervision and direction of mid-level and junior staff
- Coaches and cultivates talent at all levels to drive/develop impactful leaders
- Develops and delivers high quality internal training
- Leads and demonstrates collaboration, teamwork across projects, segments, and/or regions
- Quickly addresses escalated concerns or conflicts among team or clients
- Creates an environment for respectful, open discussion of issues and diverse points of view
Extensive business development skills
- Generates ideas and hypotheses to drive research and analysis
- Participates in new business generation
- Leverages existing credibility and relationships to extend FTI footprint and department support
- Takes the lead in improving and growing client offering/ relationship/services, as well as FTI’s internal operations and processes
Responsibility for hitting financial targets
- Generates specified revenue for segment per year through personal contacts and/or participation on sales teams
- Maximizes practice or department top and bottom line engagement/project result
Qualified candidates must possess a PhD in economics or related field, strong leadership and client service skills and experience; extensive experience in developing and applying diverse analytical methodologies to a wide variety of complex issues. Strong candidates will be forward-thinking and will be comfortable and accountable in leading multiple client engagements simultaneously. Extensive work experience in health economics, consulting, or public health is required.
How You’ll Grow
Direct access to leadership with defined long-term career planning will ensure you continue to develop your skills as a communications and change management practitioner.
- Ph.D. in Economics or Public Health or related field
- Minimum 7 years of (post-PhD) experience in applied economics, preferably health economics
- Advanced modeling skills applied in healthcare and life science industry context, and track record for excellent work
- Ability to develop creative approaches and solutions necessary to resolve complex problems
- Excellent listening, verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Sound understanding of relevant healthcare data and policies
- Ability to manage and coach staff
- Ability to quickly assimilate relevant information in unfamiliar situations and to develop creative approaches and solutions necessary to resolve complex problems
- Excellent listening, verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Excellent client engagement and project management skills
- Proficient in statistical or econometric software programs – SAS, Stata, R, or Python
Apart from the well-structured career path and excellent team environment, our employees enjoy a variety of perks and benefits. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Competitive salary and bonus plans
- Generous paid holidays, time off and parental leave
- Full package of benefits plans
- Company matched 401K
- Annual paid volunteer hours
- Corporate matching for charitable donations
- Potential for flexible working arrangements
- Free snacks and drinks
- Upscale offices close to public transportation
- Pet insurance
About FTI Consulting What makes us unique? With more than 6,250 employees located in offices in every corner of the globe, we are the firm our clients call when their most important issues are at stake. Regardless of what level you are, you will have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from top experts in your field on high-profile engagements that impact history. Our culture is collaborative, and we value diversity, recognition, development and making a difference in our communities. FTI Consulting is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange and has been recognized as a Best Firm to Work For by Consulting magazine and one of America’s Best Management Consulting Firms by Forbes. For more information, visit www.fticonsulting.com and connect with us on Twitter (@FTIConsulting), Facebook and LinkedIn.
FTI Consulting is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
- Exempt or Non-Exempt?: Exempt