Initial Posting Date: 07/14/2022
Application Deadline: 08/31/2022
Agency: Oregon Health Authority
Salary Range: $5,234 – $8,043
Position Type: Employee
Position Title: Health Care Market Oversight Economist (Economist 3)
Attention current State of Oregon employees: To apply for posted positions, please close this window and log into your Workday account and apply through the Career worklet.
Please attach a current version of your resume and a cover letter that addresses the points listed under the section titled What We Are Looking For. Cover letters are required for this recruitment, applications that do not include a cover letter will not be considered.
PLEASE NOTE: Resumes, cover letters and all other documents must all be uploaded at one time. When uploading a resume, please upload any other documents in the same area/field.
The Oregon Health Authority has a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Health Care Market Oversight Economist to join an excellent team. This is a full-time, management service position within OHA’s Office of Health Policy & Analytics.
What you will do!
The Health Care Market Oversight Economist is responsible for coordinating, designing, and conducting quantitative research, analysis and interpretation of data. Such data may include financial, economic, demographic, health care cost and utilization, labor market, and more.
The Economist will plan and manage complex forecasting using statistical simulation models that support the program’s review transactions and inform policy recommendations. Assignments will require conceptualization and analysis of complex markets, which may be difficult to define. Because the Health Care Market Oversight program is new, the Economist must be able to develop and define critical features of the program and operationalize economic theories, principles, and techniques.
The Economist will work closely with the Health Care Cost Economist, the Health Care Market Oversight Research Analyst 4, and other team members to develop methodologies, direct and conduct analyses, and create internal and public facing reports about health care consolidation in Oregon. The position is situated in the Office of Health Policy, working primarily with Health Care Market Oversight team, but will work with others across the Division and with other agencies and academic experts as needed.
What’s in it for you?
We offer a workplace that balances productivity with enjoyment; promotes an atmosphere of mutual respect, dedication, and enthusiasm. You will collaborate in an open office with a team of bright individuals to work with and learn from. We offer full medical, vision and dental with paid sick leave, vacation, personal leave and eleven paid holidays per year plus pension and retirement plans. If you’re driven by the passion to do something meaningful that changes lives, the Oregon Health Authority is the place for you.
This position falls under the Economist 3 classification. The AA Rate Salary Range for this position is $5,234.00 – $8,043.00 USD Monthly.
The Oregon Health Authority is committed to developing and promoting culturally and linguistically appropriate programs and a diverse and inclusive workforce representing the diversity, culture, strengths and values of the people of Oregon. Click here, to learn more about OHA’s mission, vision and core values. OHA is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, genetic information or any other protected class under state or federal law.
What we are looking for:
- A Bachelor’s degree in economics or a related field and three years experience doing economic research or econometric forecasting:
- A Master’s degree in Economics or related field will substitute for one year of experience.
- A PHD in Economics or related field will substitute for two years of experience.
- Demonstrated experience conducting economic analysis, including developing forecasting methodologies and designing and using econometric models to guide decision making
- Experience analyzing quantitative and qualitive economic trends
- Experience using statistical software packages to conduct economic analyses and build models
- Experience producing written reports
- Knowledge of social science research methods and design
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with program partners and stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to present clear and concise economic information and ideas to groups, individuals or the media in verbal and written form to fit the needs of the audience
- Ability to consider viewpoints and needs expressed by these groups and make a good faith effort at communicating such to their counterparts.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple competing priorities
- Experience and knowledge of industrial organization, anti-trust, mergers and acquisitions
- Knowledge of health care industry consolidation and impacts of consolidation
- Experience working with health care data. Experience with claims preferred.
- Experience and knowledge of health care financing
- Experience and knowledge of Medicaid and Medicare programs and commercial insurance
- Experience and knowledge of quality, access, and equity measurement approaches
- Experience analyzing sophisticated financial data and analyzing financial trends
- Graduate education in economics, statistics, public policy, or public administration
How to apply:
- Complete the online application
- Complete Questionnaire
- Upload Resume
- Upload Cover Letter
This recruitment announcement will be used to establish a list of qualified candidates to fill the current vacancy and may be used to fill future vacancies as they occur.
Please ensure you’ve provided a thorough and updated application as it pertains to the position for which you are applying. Should you be selected for this position, your application materials will be used to determine salary based on a pay equity assessment. For further information, please visit the Pay Equity Project homepage.
The Oregon Health Authority is committed to fair employment practices and non-discrimination, including pay equity for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of protected class (race, sex, veteran status, disability, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation) in the payment of wages or screen applicants on the basis of their current or past compensation. We determine salary by completing a review of your application materials to evaluate your related education, experience, and training for this position.
If you need assistance to participate in the application process, including an accommodation request under the American with Disabilities Act contact: Andre Brembry at 503-949-8749 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please monitor your Workday account, as all communication will be sent to your Workday account. You must have a valid e-mail address to apply.
- If you are a veteran, you may receive preference. Click here for more information about veterans’ preference. If you checked that you are a veteran, we will ask you for your documents later in the process.
- We do not offer VISA sponsorships or transfers at this time – unless specifically noted. Within three days of hire, you will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming authorization to work in the United States.
- If you are offered employment, the offer will be contingent upon the outcome of an abuse check, criminal records check and driving records check, and the information shall be shared with the Oregon Health Authority (OHA), Office of Human Resources (OHR). Any criminal or founded abuse history will be reviewed and could result in the withdrawal of the offer or termination of employment.
- Please only attach documents that are related to the position. Additional documents that are attached will not be reviewed.
- Applicant Help and Support webpage
The Oregon Health Authority is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to work force diversity.