Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Washington, D.C.
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Department: Health Care
Report to: Vice President of Health Care – Payor Reform Team
Travel: Occasional travel expected
Arnold Ventures’ Health Care portfolio aims to develop evidence-based policy to make health care more affordable for governments, businesses, and households. We fund work across four broad issue areas: Low-Value Care, Commercial Sector Prices, Drug Prices, and Complex Care.
We are seeking a Director to help expand and manage our Low-Value Care portfolio and to advance related policy work. This portfolio focuses on the development and execution of strategies to address issues related to health care spending, including innovative payment and delivery system reforms to reduce the provision of low-value care. In addition, the portfolio includes work aimed at improving the fiscal sustainability of the Medicare program for the future by advancing reforms to contain costs and strengthen the program’s financing. This individual will be responsible for helping identify, analyze, and pursue new, high-leverage philanthropic opportunities, as well as managing current investments and partnerships.
- Work with the Vice President to develop and refine the strategic direction for the low-value care portfolio by conducting research and analysis to identify grantees and inform strategy, project development and policy recommendations, and by developing and managing relationships with grantees, key stakeholders and experts
- Identify, develop, and present charitable investment and grant recommendations to the Arnold Ventures’ Board; oversee investments and grants; and reflect on prior and existing investments and grants to inform strategy and future recommendations
- Collaborate with the Vice President and Communications team on the communications strategy and materials that elevate relevant research, policy developments, and approaches
- Advanced degree in public policy or a related field is preferred; equivalent experience will be considered
- 7-10 years of relevant work experience, preferably including experience with federal or state policy
- Demonstrated understanding of relevant health care issues, including low-value care, Medicare payment policy, and value-based payment approaches
- Strong policy analysis and research skills; ability to understand technical and theoretical concepts
- Strategic thinker with an ability to communicate complex ideas in a clear and concise manner both in writing and verbally
- Effective leadership and management skills, including prioritizing projects, simultaneously managing multiple projects under deadlines, and developing and supporting colleagues
- Sees and seizes possible opportunities in unknown situations; steers others skillfully with a stabilizing presence and clear targeted coaching in order to make significant progress
- Seeks balanced feedback from others and is receptive to both positive and constructive views; applies insights from feedback
- Adaptable and able to thrive in a variety of situations
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
We ask that you include a cover letter in addition to your resume when applying, and we invite you to address your reasons for engaging in this work in your cover letter.
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.