Solely funded by pioneering philanthropists Gary and Mary West, West Health is an initiative combining four separate organizations with the shared goal of lowering health care costs by creating innovative, patient-centered solutions that deliver the right care at the right place at the right time. The Gary and Mary West Health entities include the nonprofit West Health Institute and West Health Policy Center, and the for-profit West Health Investment Fund and West Health Incubator.
West Health seeks an experienced, hands-on and results-driven Director of Health Care Economics and Analytics. This individual should be a highly motivated, team player with experience working amongst a diverse and talented team. This position is located in La Jolla, California, with occasional travel.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer of West Health, the Director of Health Care Economics and Analytics is responsible for the preparation of economic and health care cost forecasts and analyses for West Health’s key projects, initiatives, investments, and Clinical, RD&E, WESTECH and Disease Solution teams. This role gathers data to measure potential cost lowering outcomes and builds economic, analytic and statistical models to optimize the potential to lower health care costs. The Director of Health Care Economics and Analytics will serve as internal consultant to projects and department leads during the West Health innovation process. This is a hands-on role, involving a high degree of visibility and collaboration across West Health and its affiliates.
- Lead the hands-on design, development, and implementation of analytic tools and predictive models to identify and model drivers of the costs of delivering care.
- Provide analysis on whether internal and external projects, solutions or investments are likely to lower health care costs and to what degree.
- Participate with Clinical, RD&E, WESTECH and Disease Solution teams on project designs to ensure appropriate and relevant health care cost and health economic factors are captured. Work collaboratively with the teams to implement plans and strategies.
- Help evaluate the feasibility of West Health’s strategic priorities and potential research opportunities and investments and make recommendations that support enterprise mission to lower health care costs.
- Responsible for development, oversight and reporting of health care cost impact models which include economic and statistical analyses.
- Responsible for incorporating metrics and benchmarks (both internal and external) in analyses to proactively identify and evaluate both leading and trailing indicators of health care costs that may affect economic and health care cost impact models.
- Lead efforts to review current and potential cost drivers and third party predictive models that are essential in the analytics underlying health care costs.
- Lead and collaborate in the evidence development process with both internal and external stakeholders and vendors as needed. Conduct primary and secondary health economics and health care cost research to generate data that demonstrates the impact on health care costs.
- Collaborate with West Health quality and project management personnel to document standard analytic techniques that can be portable and scalable across projects and West Health’s innovation process.
- Collaborate with West Health Policy Center personnel regarding policy programs and resulting impact on health care costs.
- Bachelor’s degree in health economics, economics, finance, statistics, mathematics or a related field; MBA strongly preferred.
- Strong knowledge and competence of health economic principles, research methods, epidemiology, and modeling.
- Associate of the Society of Actuaries (ASA) designation a plus.
- Requires a minimum of eight to ten years of experience in health care economics, including experience in commercial payor settings with direct responsibility for modeling, developing cost analyses and management.
- Financial, Planning & Analysis (FP&A) experience a plus.
- Demonstrated abilities with health care economics analysis, data mining, and exploratory and statistical analysis in the health care space.
- In-depth knowledge of U.S. health policy and health care systems, including managed care organizations, PBMs, Medicare, Medicaid, and private payers.
- Knowledge of money flows inside/outside a hospital or hospital system setting.
- Ability to effectively and clearly communicate relevant health care costs and health economic and outcomes research data (and its implications).
- Deep decision-analytic modeling experience and proven quantitative and financial analysis skills using Microsoft Excel and other analytic tools.
- Experience and success in managing multiple projects.
- Can confidently provide independent thought leadership and guidance throughout the organization.
- Excellent interpersonal, collaborative, verbal, and written communications skills.